Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Appleseed Shoot This Weekend!

This weekend I'm scheduled to attend an Appleseed shoot at Pelham Fish & Game Club here in NH. There is a blitz of Appleseed shoots taking place this weekend to commemorate April 19, 1775 - the battles of Lexington and Concord and the start of the American Revolution. The Appleseed is sponsored by the Revolutionary War Veterens Association (RWVA).

The Appleseed Project is best described as a shooting clinic to train riflemen (and women!) to hit a man-sized target at 500 yards with a rack-grade military rifle. The idea is that it was the ability of our riflemen that allowed us to beat the British, and that we need to keep these skills alive to be good citizens. Most of the practicing takes place at 25 yards with very small targets that simulate longer distances.

I've put together a Marlin 795 semi-auto .22 with peep sights and a military sling for this event. I'd going to try hard to earn my "Rifleman" patch, which requires shooting a passing score of the shooting test. I'll try to get pictures and post more about it after the event. Shannon and Simon will be joining me, they'll be using scoped bolt-action .22 rifles, so I'm anxious to see what bearing that has on their shooting.

For more info go to: http://appleseedinfo.org

No comments:

Post a Comment