Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Francis Dunnery - "Tall Blonde Helicopter"

When I threw this cd into for the ride this morning I didn't realize that it was 15 years old - where does the time go? I was actually kind of dreading it, thinking it would be some long-forgotten pop and a waste of time. I was wrong.

"Tall Blonde Helicopter" by Francis Dunnery is still relevant, and actually a lot of fun to listen to. Dunnery uses the album as sort of a self-help session - I'm guessing that he's been through at least one rehab program. Each song deals with his failings as a man and his efforts to be a better human being. I think that every song is written from a first-person perspective and each contains the word "Me" or "I" repeated over and over.

The best song is, "Too Much Saturn" which received quite a bit of airplay back in the day. However, there are a lot of good songs on the cd, from the opening "48 Hours Ago" to "I believe I Can Change My World". I actually only made it to song 12 before I got to work, "Only New York Going On" but I will listen to the last three on the way home this evening.

I wouldn't want to listen to this everyday, but it is well worth throwing into the player every now and then. The whole introspective thing can get tiresome, but taken in small doses it can be beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment