Today on the ride I listened to Jethro Tull's "Original Masters" - a greatest hits album released in 1985. I first bought this on cassette when I was around 16 or 17, and after all these years it still rocks. It's an album that I keep going back to.
What's cool about Jethro Tull is that they are a classic rock band that interweaves all kinds of acoustic and orchestral sounds in with the overdriven power chords. And the lyrics, we can't forget the lyrics. All kinds of songs about living life and what it all means. However, the philosophy is subtle, and it won't hit you over the head for the most part.
I love almost all of the songs on this one. However, "Too Old To Rock 'n Roll, Too Young To Die" has become my anthem recently. I won't analyze it here, because I don't have the time or space to do it justice, however, I highly recommend that you give it a listen, especially if you're feeling the affects of time.
Another favorite is, "Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day". There's a line in there that I really love, "Do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?"
No post on Jethro Tull would be complete without talking about Ian Anderson's flute playing. Ian is the lead singer and a madman on the flute. You normally wouldn't think of the flute as a hard rocking instrument, but in hands it runs the gamut from soft and soothing to hard-rocking.
So I highly recommend that you get "Original Masters" and get to know it. Fantastic '70s rock that still plays great today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment